Follow our baby's growth!

 Pregnancy Ticker,  BabyFetus Ticker,  BabyFruit Ticker

Friday, May 6, 2011

Non-Stress Test

We went to the hospital for a non-stress test (NST) yesterday. My doctor wasn't concerned about anything but this is a standard test when you are "past-due." So, off we went to the hospital!

The purpose of the NST is to check to make sure that the baby is responsive and that his heart rate goes up and down. I think that I got some little jolts or shocks (nothing I felt) on my belly and then the baby's heart rate is monitored to make sure he reacts. We passed with flying colors :) We got a reactive result in 20 minutes, which is great. The test needs to last for at least 20 minutes, but some people who don't have very reactive babies may have to do the test for 90 minutes!


The monitors would also measure any contractions I had during the test. Well, I could have told them, but I didn't have a single contraction! Alas....more waiting :)

There were some very positive things about this appointment though. First and foremost, the baby is doing well. He's reactive and his heart rate goes up and down perfectly. Secondly, we got to see a labor and delivery room! We'd seen a recovery room when we visited a friend last summer, but never the labor and delivery room. It was a pretty large room. I suppose it needs to be large in order to have so many people there when the baby actually decides to come!

Check out this link to see the other photos from the test yesterday :)

2 comments:

  1. To judge from how you look in these photos, you aren't stressed at all--just extremely round. I hope that years and years from now, this boy will appreciate what excellent care you took of him all these extra days. And appreciate his dad for taking such nice photos of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything -- and everybody but one -- is ready.

    ReplyDelete