Follow our baby's growth!

 Pregnancy Ticker,  BabyFetus Ticker,  BabyFruit Ticker

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Prenatal Yoga

My friend and coworker, Joanna, teaches a few yoga classes...including a prenatal yoga class! I took my very first class last night and (thanks in part to the great yoga mat I got for Christmas from Santa Flannery), it went pretty well. I have a long way to go to be able to say that I "do" yoga, but it's a start. My muscles are not used to be used in a yoga way...more of a strength training way, so I need to do some retraining. And even though I have hardly been working out these past 23 weeks, I still have muscles, which sometimes get in the way of some yoga poses! Who knew?!

My class is on Mondays from 5:30-6:30, so it's a nice way to start the week. There were only three other women in the class---one at 18 weeks, me at 23 weeks, one at 26 weeks and another at 32 weeks. Joanna said that she gets a wide range from pretty much 18-40 weeks. It's a drop-in class, so there may be more or less women there next week.

I like this yoga class because in addition to being some exercise (it's very gentle though, so it's not as if I'm burning 100s of calories!), it's helping to get my body ready for labor and delivery, which I think is pretty cool. Joanna has been through yoga training (of course) and child birth, so she knows and understands how what she is having us do will aid us later when it's time to have the baby!

My plan is to keep going as long as I have the energy...which I'm hoping will be up until the end (or close to it). So, I have 15 or 16 more Mondays.....(kinda weird...).

No comments:

Post a Comment